Sunday, February 19, 2012

Circles of Neglect


What is a circle of neglect?
It is any of the contraptions manufactured to contain children in one little space with or without things to "entertain" them.

Why should they cease to exist?
The fact that even on the "registry must haves list" they are listed under "entertainers" should be a clue. They are just something to keep the child occupied/pacified for some amount of time. These contraptions do not count as toys; do not serve an educational purpose. Nor do they serve a physical development purpose. They are actually the opposite. They hinder physical development due to the nature of the way the childs legs are situated in it. Many parents used to think these (especially the walkers - which are the AAP banned ones) were beneficial in the child learning how to walk. However, the child does not have proper alignment, weight distribution, or balance outside of it and has to relearn how to walk on their own. Their hips, knees, and ankles end up looking like an old timey cowboy trying to walk right after getting off of their horse (I have witnessed this issue first hand).  Those tip-toeing cowboy children were the extreme case (literally put in a walker all day long), but I really wish these things would discontinue production.

What do I recommend instead?
When the baby is not yet crawling, there is no need for containing contraptions. If the baby is content to play on the floor that is where they should be. If they are not content on the floor, I highly recommend some sort of baby carrier. It is positive for attachment reasons, and it allows for my hands free to say do the dishes or whatever task I want to get accomplished. I also like baby gyms since they provide sensory experiences and the baby uses their own body to navigate it. If it is a shower I am needing, I might have to wait until they are napping to accomplish that one.
When the infant has started to crawl and/or pull-up and cruise on things, furniture is a great obstacle course to navigate. I have definitely rearranged pieces of furniture to provide cruising courses. For times when the child needs to stay in a supervised area, I've done having them in their high chair and providing toys or paper and crayons for them to work with. I'm not as opposed to the jumperoo things (as long as it is only used for short periods of time) since they do actually work leg muscles and have practice with balance. I have yet to decide if I will ever borrow one from someone (I know I won't buy one).
During the incredibly busy toddler time between 16-22 months, this may just be a time when my house will not be as clean and I will have to wait until they are napping to accomplish some tasks. However, this is also a time when children begin to want to imitate and be helpers. So, when possible, I try to involve them in doing the dishes or laundry. It may take longer and might not happen exactly as I would do it by myself, but the child is also learning skills and gaining self-esteem by accomplishing tasks with me.

I know many people love their circular entertainers, and I'm sure the majority of people don't just neglect their child for extended periods of time in them. I just have seen it done and seen the real down side physically for the child.
I recognize that many feel the need for something to occupy their child so that they can get something else done. What I think the difference is is that most of those things can get accomplished by including the child in at least some aspect of your process. Children are amazing with how they can comprehend and with what they are capable of doing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home