Tuesday, July 31, 2012

I no longer hold any political views

In the spirit of all the hate that is currently being spewed in all directions these days, I thought I'd try to spread a little love.

"V'ahavta l'rayacha kamocha, ani Hashem {You shall love your neighbor as yourself, I am Hashem}. [19:18]"

35 One of them, an expert in the law, tested him with this question: 36 “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”
37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’[a] 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[b] 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

[30.21] And one of His signs is that He created mates for you from yourselves that you may find rest in them, and He put between you love and compassion; most surely there are signs in this for a people who reflect.



I'm not an expert in religion, but I'm pretty sure they all talk about love A LOT. I also totally buy into the religious philosophy of the stained glass window. If you've never heard of this, it is the idea (cut and paraphrased) that God is the sunshine on one side of the window and that all of the religions are the various colors of the panels of stained glass. The light shines differently through each one, but all are of the same light source. I'm sure a lot of people will hate and disagree with that idea, but that is ok. This is the philosophy that works for me. I fully support you having your own ideas about religion. I know which one works for me, but I don't think mine is mutually exclusive of any other.

While it may seem that I am writing off topic from my title, but I am getting the framework for part of my thought process. Religion and politics have seemingly become even more intertwined. Both have also begun to pigeon-hole themselves by being to polarized. I think most people, in reality, are much more of a mix of beliefs, but somehow everyone has gotten so wrapped up in opposing each other so staunchly.

This is where my reason for this post comes in. I have deleted my political views from my facebook profile. Many of you already know my leanings, but I must say/admit that I don't just fit in one little check box of politico.

How does this post relate to parenting??

I have always loved the fact that my parents would never tell us who they voted for. Even when we would try to trick them into telling us, they wouldn't. I'm pretty sure of my parents values, but I'm not always positive that I know which candidates they vote for. I want to try to keep this up for my child(ren). I want to teach a strong, kind value system; but then let him(them) choose for himself(themselves). I couldn't stand growing up the kids that would just spout off the stuff that their parents said about politics. I know that it was what their parents said, because in trying to talk more in depth about any of it the kid had no idea. I want for my child(ren) to make informed decisions of his(their) own and not just follow anyone -- even me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home